Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day Six - Doing Hard Things

Most of us woke this morning to our regular routine.  Perhaps a quick work-out at the gym, home to get the kiddos ready and out the door for school, then off to our chores.  Simple things.  More and more I am grateful for my regular little routine as I watch my sister concentrate on more serious matters.  With each day as her blood levels drop and the bad cells die off making room for the good "super cells" from her brother, Michelle deals with things such as fatigue, nose bleeds, mouth sores, and hair falling out.  Shelly has made every effort to keep her mouth clean avoiding sores that can sometimes follow the chemotherapy.  Unfortunately today she found a couple of small sores in the bottom of her mouth.  She'll continue to follow a good oral hygiene regime to avoid additional sores. 

We are grateful to know that the chemotherapy did it's job killing all the fast growing cells in her body.  This became evident as she awoke to hair covering her pillow and shirt.  This was again illustrated after she washed and combed her hair.  The nurse will be in a little later to give Shelly her final hair cut, or rather, shave her head.  Bald is beautiful!  Today I believe this more so, for I know that bald truely means the chemo did its job.  Those cancer cells have hopefully been eradicated along with the good and ALL the bad. 

The Lord has continued to bestow His tender mercies on Michelle through this whole process.  Each day as the doctor comes in to check on Michelle, he tells her she is doing AMAZING!  I believe he is really telling her the truth.  She has avoided many of the side effects or complications that sometimes follow the treatment she is undergoing.  The minor things that have come up have been quickly been placed under control. 

I have felt privileged to observe Michelle doing hard things.  She is honestly so strong and with each passing day she gets stronger.  I am so proud of her.  I love you Shelly.  Thanks for allowing me to be part of this time with you and teaching me so much of courage, strength, hope and faith.

5 comments:

Melissa Pilling said...

Robyn, thank you for keeping this blog updated

Michelle - I have a quote that I have been wanting to put up in my home. The quote fits you perfectly today. "We (Michelle) can do hard things, yet in the strength of the Lord we can do ALL things". Sending hugs to you today.

Heather Harbaugh said...

Words cannot express how proud of you I am Shelly. Even though this was a hard posting to read (yes I cried at work, in an office full of men), it just makes me feel so lucky to have you as a sister and to have the family that we have. I love you so much and my prayers continue to be with you!

Perry's said...

I love you mom. You can do this. You are doing this. The lord is with you every step of the way. Through the lord all things are possible. Stay strong. I love and miss you.

Lindsey said...

You are one AMAZING woman!! Hang in there! You're doing so great! Love and prayers your way!

Chardon said...

You are doing so good!! Just keep going!! You have gotten this far already!