Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 9 – CDIFF and HATS

I think the WBC have finally reached bottom today.  Michelle’s WBC is .07, HMT 7.9 (probably a blood transfusion tomorrow) and Platelet 44 (she received platelets twice yesterday).  Her doctor is hopeful that Tuesday we will begin to see engraphtment take place!  WOOT WOOT!
The sores have really started to be a big inconvenience for Shelly.  She began with just a couple under her tongue, unfortunately she has several in her mouth and her throat is covered.  This makes it very difficult to eat, so she’s back on the popsicle diet and ice chips diet.  There is time for eating later when the sores begin to heal.  Go white blood cells!
Another complication arose today.  Shelly has CDiff.  She has likely ingested spores from her stay in the hospital.  The bacteria were introduced into her colon where the normal gut flora was destroyed from the chemo and now her gut has become over run with clostridium difficile or CDIFF.  CDIFF causes bloating, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.  Just more of what she was already experiencing.  The hospital staff is monitoring it closely and is staying on top of it.
Mom is going crazy making hats to keep Shelly’s head warm and stylish.  Cameron wanted in on the action so when he went for a visit this morning he took his hunting cap.  When she wears it no one can see her (ha ha).  Mom has found a great pattern to make soft knit hats.  If anyone is looking for a service project we would be happy to share the pattern.  The soft knit hats are more comfortable than the crocheted hats.  The crocheted hats tend to be a little scratchy.  The pattern is quick and only costs approximately $5 a hat.
 

2 comments:

wandaluce.blogspot.com said...

I only learned about Michelle's situation a couple days ago. I didn't know at all about her being ill, and it was a terrible shock. Please will you pass on my deep, heartfelt wishes and let her know she is in my prayers. I've had severe cases of cdiff many times, and it is horrible. I can't imagine the enormous suffering she is going through. Wanda Luce

Chardon said...

Kenzington said that you had lots of cute hats!! I know that when I was in my ATV accident, I wish I had had more hats! They are so fun and so cute!! We love you and we pray for you every day!!