Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 8 - Music Fills the Soul

White blood cells dropped to ZERO today!!  That means the only place left to go is back UP!!  Her blood levels had all dropped significantly low today.  She had another transfusion of platelets, but her red blood cells remained low as well even after the transfusion yesterday.  This really marks the lowest day so far.  We are hoping for an immediate graph so that everything will begin to climb back up.

Yesterday Shelly felt up to eating.  Remember, she needs to eat 500 calories to have the nutrition tube removed.  So, returning to food by mouth, she ate half a chocolate shake and some fries.  Not necessarily the healthiest, but high in calories.  Too be honest, each time I tried calling Shelly today I was unable to reach her so I am not up to date as to whether or not she ate.

Tonight I enjoyed going to a concert at Bountiful High School with my daughter Karina.  90% of the songs reminded me of Michelle in one way or another.  You see, my childhood memories are flooded with images of Shelly and I sitting at the piano, her playing while we sang hours of duets.  Music has always been a huge part of our family; anything from musicals to church music, to pop.  My love for the Carpenter's is directly related to memories with Michelle.  By the end of the concert tonight Karina was ready to bolt.  At first I thought it might be because she didn't want to be seen with her mom, but then I realized how swollen my eyes were and how much snot was still dripping from my nose (I'm not a pretty crier), and realized that YES she did not want to be seen with her mom because she was a TRAIN WRECK.  I haven't been to the hospital since Tuesday and it is killing me that I have not personally seen how Shelly is improving.  It gave me a glimpse as to why you, the readers of this blog, continue to read.

Shelly has battled two and a half weeks in the hospital.  Hopefully if all continues to go as planned, she will be in her home in another two weeks.  Half the battle has been won.  I know she can do it.  I know that it has been a physical and an emotional roller coaster for Michelle.  I have talked of her bravery and courage, but even I realize that there may have been moments when she did not feel very strong.  Several time as I have entered her hospital room Shelly had the Mormon Tabernacle Choir playing softly, or she was enjoying a musical on the television.  I know she has chosen these types of entertainment because music fills the soul.  I dedicate the words of the following hymn to Shelly to give her strength through the coming weeks and days.

Where Can I Turn for Peace?

Where can I turn for peace?  Where is my solace?
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart, Searching my soul?

Where when my aching grows, where when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?  He, only One.

He answers privately, Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant He is and kind, Love without end.
-Emma Lou Thayne-

Hugs to you Michelle.  The Savior is ALWAYS with you!

5 comments:

Perry's said...

I have not been able to see you in a week. I am going crazy. You're doing a awesome job. You are loved by so many.

Chardon said...

I am so glad that you are doing good!! I love you and cannot wait to see you when you get better!! LOVE YOU!!!

Heather Harbaugh said...

I know this blog is for Shelly, but in reading this recent post, I realized how much it is for the rest of us too. I don't have the opportunity to go see Shelly like the rest of my siblings but I needed this. Not only for myself, but to know how my sister whom I love very much is doing. I love you Shelly, I love you Gerald for your unselfishness, and I love you Robyn for your willing to do this blog.

Gina said...

Hi, Michelle. I am so grateful to Robyn for blogging to let us know how you are doing! I wish I could come to visit, and I can't wait until you can have visitors again! Who knew that chocolate shakes would be "good for you" for the calories?
I hope you have felt the love of Heavenly Father and Jesus surrounding you this past week. I have prayed and fasted that you would. My love is with you too.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Michelle. You are on the downhill side--only a few more days before those wonderful stem cells start to do their work. Enjoy those milk shakes and fries and--maybe a whole box of chocolates for Valentines Day next week.
Love, Nicki