Monday, February 13, 2012

Day +11 and +12 - How Low Can We Go?

Just when you think you cannot go any lower, guess again?  Shelly received her last dose of immunosuppressant last night.  She has now had four of them to help prevent graph versus host.  This would be so much worse than what she is experiencing now.  We were so hoping that she would not have it because we knew it would give her more sores and that it did, but I guess it is still better than the alternative.  Today she has no voice left because her throat is covered in sores.  For the first time Michelle asked for pain medication last night.  Unfortunately it made her sick, causing her to throw up, making the pain worse.  This is definitely among the top hardest five things I’ve watched someone go through.  If you know anything about me, then you know this is very difficult.

Dr. Wei has already been in today.  He is still hopeful that tomorrow will be the engraphtment day.  Her WBC came up from .07 to .14 today.  We’re just waiting for the neutrophils to begin showing up.  WAITING!  The Deters are not known for patience.  This is truly teaching us patience and that all things are in the Lord’s time.  He reiterated that even though Michelle feels “her” very worst, she is still ten times better off than the other patients on the floor.  Steve and I talked about that this morning, if this is what Michelle is going through, we can’t imagine watching the suffering of the other patients.  It tears my heart up to watch my beautiful sister suffer so much. 

Usually when I arrive early in the morning she is at her best, feeling somewhat rested from the previous night.  This morning she sleeps.  Hopefully she will rest well today and tomorrow will come quickly.  I love you Shelly Dawn.  Tomorrow, the sun WILL come out tomorrow!  Gotta hang on til’ tomorrow…

5 comments:

Perry's said...

I was so great to see you Sunday afternoon. I had been a long time. It broke my heart to see you in so much pain. I feel bad you did take the medicine and it made you feel bad. I know when I was there you were still questioning it. I wish I could take this pain away from you. I love you mom. Hang in there.

Patricia said...

Great news! Engraftment underway. WBC count is up! There is only one explanation for this: Hello graft! We are so happy to see you! Numbers will be up more tomorrow--often platelets lead. Neutrophils will come. You're doing great, Michelle, hang in there! Go, graft, go!

Chardon said...

Michelle and Robyn,
You guys are the two cutest women I have ever met! Your smile light up the room, and it is hard to be in a bad mood around you to! You guys have such bubbly personality's! I love the both of you so much!! I love you Michelle, and I want you to know that we are praying for you everyday, as well as everyone you know. Love you!!

Chardon said...

I love your hats!! Between your cute hats, sweet pajamas, and beautiful face, I am getting pretty jealous!

Wendie said...

We love you, Michelle!! You are in our prayers everyday!!