Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day +10 - Things to Pray For

Spending the morning with my sister is always such a sweet time.  It breaks my heart to watch her suffer so much.  Both doctors today complimented her on how well she's doing.  Michelle and I both though, "if this is good, what do the other patients look like?"  Grateful that she isn't categorized as doing bad.  However, she is suffering and I wish that we could take away some of that for her.  So I plead with the readers of this blog to pray for a few specific things and if you would like to join her family in fasting, it would be appreciated.  Specifically that her complications and suffering with the CDIFF would heal, the sores in her mouth and throat would subide, but most importantly that engraphtment will take place very soon.  Dr. Wei is hoping for engraphtment by Tuesday.  Cross your fingers...we are hoping for that to.

Engraphtment really is the answer to cure all the suffering.  Once Michelle engraphs the sores in her throat and mouth will heal, the diarrhea will subside, her energy will return along with her appetite.  She is one tough lady.  Shelly has been offered pain medication to help ease her suffering, but she isn't taking it.  I commend her for her decision.  Watching her, I know that what she is experiencing is extremely painful and must seem like the tunnel is never ending.  I see the tiny pin hole at the end of this tunnel.  I know that if Shelly can have the strength to endure just a couple more days, she too will see the light.

Her blood count today remains similar to that of yesterday.  WBC: .07, HGB: 7.7, and Platelets: 30.  Normally Michelle would not receive a blood transfusion until her HGB reaches 7.5, but late this afternoon her doctor ordered the transfusion for today instead of tomorrow.  A platelet transfusion usually isn't given until it is below 30 so she will probably receive platelets tomorrow.  Both of these transfusions will help the time pass for Michelle because the accompanying Benydril will help her sleep.

As I left the hospital today I reminded Shelly of our favorite pig and spider.  She is "terrific" and to keep her "chin up."  I love you Shell.  You can do it, I believe in you!

6 comments:

pj said...

Love you Michelle!! You are amazing! Jim and I are praying daily for you! Xoxoxo Pattie

Chardon said...

You look so good! I love you!

Patricia said...

Michelle,
Engraftment is coming, Michelle, and once you see those counts start to come up, everything else will get easier. I know you are extremely uncomfortable right now. I pray for you each and every day, I pray for your sustained strength and your swift recovery. I also sing the WBC song just for you. When you feel discouraged, just remember: you ARE doing magnificently and this is discomfort is only temporary. You can do anything for 30 seconds, 30 minutes, even 30 days. Once your brother's cells start cranking out a new blood cell system, you will get better each and every day. Sores will come and go. Bacterial infections, too. But as long as your organs are strong, your spirit is strong, and your will is strong, you will prevail. You're doing it--day by day, minute by minute. Miracles don't come easily, but they are well worth the fight. Go, graft, go!!!

pj said...

Robyn,thanks for all you are doing so that we as Michelle's friends can stay informed without bugging her, you are great. I would really like to get the pattern for the adorable hats, my mother-in-law has stage 4 breast cancer and would love them! Thanks Pattie

Page family said...

Hugs, love, and lots and lots of prayers coming your way!!

Heather Harbaugh said...

Ok I really need to stop reading these at work!! I love you so much Shelly Pops and I'm so proud of you...chin up!