Friday, February 17, 2012

Day +16 - Encouraged!

Shelly's numbers are looking almost normal, normal for a healthy person!  This is so encouraging! 

WBC: 1.01
Hemoglobin: 10.1
Platelets: 165
ANC - .6

All the doctors can't speak highly enough about her progress.  The morning was a bit shaky.  Literally.  Shelly's blood sugar was a little whacky.  No doubt this is due to the intravenous nourishment and now the added real food.  The intravenous nourishment is going to be dropped to half tonight, allowing her body to rely a little more on real food.  Another encouraging achievement is not only that she is eating but she is keeping it down too.

Today she had orange juice, 1/2 a bagel, lots of m&m's, a popsicle, 1/2 an ensure drink, and she also took a small pill by mouth.  Shelly sat up in a chair for over an hour and went for a long walk.  Her naps are decreasing which I also look at as a good sign of recovery.  I'm sure as she moves back home and is taking on more activity, her naps will increase too until she regains all her strength again.

Michelle's goal is to move home next week.  Something she is working very hard to achieve and looking forward to with much anticipation!

Keep going Shell!  You ARE doing great things!

7 comments:

Perry's said...

It will be so great to have you home. You are doing an awesome job.

Chardon said...

Yea I would be eating M&M's too!!!! I am wondering if you can recieve visitors when you are at home?? I am so glad to hear that you are doing better!!! From what I see in the pictures, you are looking so good!! I love you so much Michelle, and I know that the Lord has been with you the whole time.

Chardon said...

Here Michelle, When I think of you, I think of this poem.

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one belonging to him, and the other to the LORD. When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of
his life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he
questioned the LORD about it:

"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me."

The LORD replied:

"My son, my precious child, I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Andrew said...

I am so excited to see how well you are doing!! I know that I do not comment a lot but I love reading up on your progress and it makes me happy to see that a friend is doing so well! I think about you all the time! Love you! Continue to do well!!

Chardon said...

Hey not to bug you, but are you guys going to post on the last 3 days?

Shaula Holt said...

yeah, yahoo, go Shelly go!!!!! If I had pom, poms I'd be a-shakin' 'em and I'd kick' my legs and yell real loud, but then I'd pull a muscle and hobble over to a chair and cheer from the side. Oh, how I love you and pray for you!!!!!! You are amazing! Love ya, Shaula

Patricia said...

Look at those platelets! Fab. By now WBC is no doubt up, too! Keep up the good work, Michelle, we are cheering for you! You will be home soonest!